Litter Box Training
The average kitten begins litter training between 4-6 weeks of age. Here are some tips to keep in mind as you begin the process.
- Keep your kitten's litter box clean.
- Have more than one litter box in your home.
- Pay attention to your kittens litter preferences ie. Some do not like perfumed litter.
- Consider sand-like litters.
- Keep your kitten's litter box in a secluded area.
- Use perfumed litters.
- Use clumping litter with kittens younger than 4 months old.
- Keep the litter box near food or water bowls.
- Use ammonia-based cleaners on the litter box.
- Allow dogs, children or other cats to deny your kitten access to its litter box.
Abnormal litter habits account for over 10% of all behavioural problems experienced by kitten owners.
Simply stated, the causes of elimination problems fit into three major categories.
If your kitten is eliminating improperly, contact your veterinarian.